TRECF Grant Programs
The Tom Ridge Environmental Center Foundation (TRECF) believes it is our duty to educate and inform the local community of our endeavors and the importance of preserving our local environment.
Functioning as the home for many local organizations, such as the Purple Martin Conservation Association and Environment Erie, the TRECF provides funding for organizations whom wish to participate in activities and programs that will educate the public in the fields of the environment, art, research, and conservationist sciences. Every year, multiple programs and organizations are allowed the opportunity to apply for grants in order to help fund their respective goals.
Since 2006, the TRECF has funded the annual IU5 Transportation Grant. The IU5, a condensed title for the Northwest Tri-County Intermediate Unit, acts as a regional educational service agency. The three counties included within the geographical area of IU5 are the Crawford, Erie, and Warren counties and is comprised of 17 school districts throughout the three counties.
The Foundation has provided tens of thousands in funding towards the IU5 Transportation Grant, which allows schools within the tri-county area to visit the Tom Ridge Environmental Center. At the Tom Ridge Environmental Center, students are given the opportunity to enjoy the exhibits, view educational films on the Big Green Screen, learn from PA Department of Conversation and Natural Resource (DCNR) environmental educators, and participate in the hands on labs of the Dr. Thomas Research Wing.
A sampling of the Projects Programs the Tom Ridge Environmental Center Foundation has supported:
- Presque Isle State Park User Survey
- The Presque Isle Red Fox
- Presque Isle Native Plant Species
- School Transportation & Presque Isle Field Trip Grants
- Purchase of Nature Board – TREC lobby
- Student Transportation Grants – Environment Erie
- Neighborhood Art House – Environmental Awareness
- Natural History Museum Equipment
- Sponsorship of Big Green Screen Films
- Regional Science Consortium – College Research Housing
- Natural Impression Student Art Show
- Student Transportation Grant – Green Careers Day
- Holiday Movies Series at TREC
- Summer Movie Series at TREC
- PNC Grow Up Great (5 years)
- Wildlife Film Festival
- Regional Science Consortium – Environmental Summer Camp
- Sunset Celebration
- John C. Oliver Environmental Leadership Award
- Purple Martin Conservation Association - Nestcam, GPS Migration Tracking and Public Education Projects
- Sponsorship of TREC or Treat and TREC the Halls Events
- Presque Isle Audubon Society - Festival of the Birds at Presque Isle
For more information about TRECF Grant Programs contact the Foundation offices at 814-835-1384.